PAGE

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Lesson29: "Refuse" Culture

This is so far the most interesting part of all. In Chinese culture, you should always refuse for the FIRST time when you are offered something like drink or food, although you really want it. Don't worry because you will get it in the end (most of the time it works!)

So, let me share my experience. As usual, I always have my breakfast in the same breakfast shop almost every morning. Yeah, almost every morning! So the boss has already recognized me. It turned out one day, the boss offered me more drink without charge a.k.a FREE. I was like, umm, I don't need, I am enough with this. So I REFUSED. The boss didn't stop her effort. She kept on forcing me to accept her offer and I kept on refusing. In the end, she took my cup and refilled it fully.
This does not happen once but every time I go there since that day. And the same situation happens; she keeps on offering and I keep on refusing but in the end, I get more drink WITHOUT charge. lol

Finally, I did some research on Chinese culture. I found out something astonishing me. Here, the situation is "Visiting (Chinese) friend". Your friend will keep on offering you something in order to be a GOOD HOST and you should refuse for the first time to be a GOOD GUEST.

Happy exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment